Pavel Borisovich Ryzhakov
Born in 1982 in Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Researcher at the International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE), Barcelona, Spain
Associate professor at the Politechnic University of Catalonia (UPC) and TecnoCampus Mataro
Accredited by ANECA (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y Acreditación) as Profesor Contratado Doctor (May 2016)
Structural analysis III (UPC) - MSc course
Modelling and simulation (TecnoCampus Mataro) - undergrad level course
Engineering materials (TecnoCampus Mataro) - undergrad level course
Supervised 1 PhD thesis and 4 MSc theses
2006-2010 - PhD, Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
2004-2006 - Master of Science with Honors in Computational Mechanics, TU Munich, Germany.
1999-2003 - Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
1999 - graduated from the School of Physics and Technology in Saint-Petersburg at Russian Academy of Science
1. P. Ryzhakov. An axisymmetric PFEM formulation for bottle forming simulation, Computational Particle Mechanics, accepted for publication 02/05/2016, DOI: 10.1007/s40571-016-0114-7
2. P. Ryzhakov, A. Jarauta, M. Secanell, J.Pons-Prats. On the application of the PFEM to droplet dynamics modeling in fuel cells, Journal of Computational Particle Mechanics (CPM), accepted for publication 08/04/2016, DOI 10.1007/s40571-016-0112-9
3. A. Jarauta, P. Ryzhakov, M. Secanell, P. Waghmare, J.Pons-Prats. Numerical study of droplet dynamics in a polymer electrolyte fuel cell gas channel using an embedded Eulerian-Lagrangian approach, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 323 (2016) pp. 201-212
4. P. Ryzhakov and A. Jarauta. An embedded approach for immiscible multi-fluid problems, accepted in Int. Jour. for Num. Methods in Fluids (IJNMF), 21/10/2015, DOI 10.1002/fld.4190
5. P. Ryzhakov. A modified fractional step method for fluid-structure interaction problems, accepted in Revista Intern. Met. Num. Ing. (RIMNI), 17/09/2015, DOI 10.106/j.rimni.2015.09.002
6. A. Jarauta, M. Secanell, J. Pons-Prats, P. Ryzhakov, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate. A semi-analytical model for droplet dynamics on the GDL surface of a PEM fuel cell cathode, Int. J. Hydrogen Eneergy, 40 (15), pp. 5375-5383, 2015
7. P. Ryzhakov, J. Cotela, R. Rossi, E. Oñate. A two-step monolithic method for efficient simulation of incompressible flows, Int. Jour, for Num. Methds. in Fluids, Vol. 74, Issue 12 (2014) pp. 919–934.
8. E. Oñate, J. Marti, P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn. Analysis of the melting, burning and flame spread of polymers with the Particle Finite Element Method. Computer Assisted Methods in Engineering and Science. 20 - 3, pp. 165 - 184. 2013.
9. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, A. Viña, E. Oñate. Modelling and simulation of the sea-landing of aerial vehicles using the Particle Finite Element Method. Int. Journal of Ocean Engineering, Vol. 66 (2013), pp. 92–100
10. J. Marti, P. Ryzhakov, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate. Combined Eulerian-PFEM approach for analysis of polymers in fire situations, Int. Jour. for Num. Methds. in Eng. (IJNME) Vol. 90-9, pp. 782-801, 2012
11. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, S. Idelsohn. Improving mass conservation in simulation of incompressible flows, Int. Jour. for Num.Methds. in Eng. (IJNME) Vol. 90-12, pp. 1435-1451
12. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate. An algorithm for the simulation of thermally coupled low speed flow problems, Int. Jour. Num. Meth. in Fluids (IJNMF) Vol. 70-1, pp. 1-19, 2012.
13. P.B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn, E.Oñate. A monolithic Lagrangian approach for fluid-structure interaction problems, Journal of Computational Mechanics, Vol. 46-6, pp. 883-899, 2010
14. R. Rossi, P. B. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate. A monolithic FE formulation for the analysis of membranes in fluids, International Journal of Spatial Structures, Vol. 24-4, pp. 205-210, 2009
Books and book chapters:
2. Lagrangian finite element methods for coupled problems in fluid mechanics, authors: P. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate, R. Rossi, S. Idelsogn. Monograph. M121, CIMNE, 2010, ISBN 978-84-96736-97-9
1. Advances in the Particle Finite Element method (PFEM) for solving coupled problems in engineering, authors: E. Oñate, S.R. Idelsohn, M.A. Celigueta, R. Rossi, J. Marti, J.M. Carbonell, Pavel Ryzhakov and B. Suárez. A E. Oñate and R. Owen (eds.), Particle-Based Methods, Computational Methods in Applied Sciences, Vol. 25, pp 1-49, Springer, 2011.
Selected conference Papers:
An embedded approach for immiscible multi-fluid problems, authors: P. Ryzhakov and A. Jarauta, WCM2015, Venice, Italy, May 2015.
Numerical model of droplet dynamics using an embedded formulation, authors: A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, WCM2015, Venice, Italy, May 2015.
Numerical modelling of droplet dynamics in PEMFC cathode channels, authors: A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, 12th Symposium for Fuel Cell and Battery Modeling and Experimental Validation, Freiburg (Germany), 26-27 Mach 2015
Numerical modelling of droplet dynamics using an embedded formulation, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, VI International Conference on Coupled Problems in Science and Engineering, San Servolo, Venice (Italy), 18-20 May 2015.
Numerical model of droplet dynamics using an embedded PFEM-Eulerian formulation, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell: IV Conference on Particle-Based Methods, Barcelona (Spain).
How to speed-up an incompressible monolithic solver, authors: P. Ryzhakov, J. Cotela, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, CMN 2013, Bilbao, Spain, June 25-28, 2013
Analysis of the melting, burning and flame spread of polymers with the Particle Finite Element Method, authors: E. Oñate, J. Marti, P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn, Computer Assisted Methods in Engineering and Science, Vol. 20/3, pp. 165-184, 2013
Efficient tools and techniques for high-performance partitioned analysis of complex coupled systems, authors: Rossi, R.; Ryzhakov, P.; Cotela, J.; Dadvand, P.; Idelsohn, S.R.; Oñate, E., ECOMMAS 2012, September 10-14, Vienna, Austria
Advances in the Particle Finite Element Method for FSI: a modified fractional step approach, authors: P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, full paper, PARTICLES-2011, Barcelona, Spain, Conference proceedings, 2011
A modified fractional step approach: P. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate, R. Rossi, CMM 2011, 09-12/05/2011 Warsaw, Poland, Conference proceedings, pp. 437-438.
Advances in the Particle Finite Element Method (PFEM) for Fluid-Structure Interaction, authors: P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate extended abstract, PARTICLES-2009, Barcelona, Spain, Conference proceedings, pp. 250-254, 2009
An algorithm for polymer melting simulation, P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, conference proceedings METNUM-2009, Barcelona, Spain, 29/06/2009-02/08/2009
Strongly coupled approach for the treatment of the fluid-structure interaction problems involving highly deformable solids and shells, R. Rossi, P. Ryzhakov, E.Oñate, IASSIACM 2008: “Spanning Nano to Mega” 2831 May 2008, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, pp-1 -4
Quasi-incompressible updated lagrangian fluid and monolithic formulation for the the fluid-structure interaction problems involving highly deformable solids, Conference proceedings, WCCM8/ECCOMAS 2008, Venice Italy, 30/06/2008-04/07/2008, Pavel B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn and E. Oñate
Monolithic approach for the solution of the FSI problems using updated lagrangian formulation of the fluid domain, conference proceedings, GACM'07, Munich, Germany, 10-12/10/2007, P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
A Monolithic FE Formulation for the Analysis of Membranes in Fluids, conference proceedings, Structural Membranes 2007, Barcelona, Spain, 17-19/09/2007. Authors: P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
Sea-landing studies of the Intermediate eXperimental Vehicle IXV using the Particle Finite Element Method (PFEM), P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, Technical report, CIMNE, March 2009.
Updated lagrangian formulation of the quasi-incompressible fluid element,conference proceedings, ECCOMMAS 2007 on Coupled Problems, Ibiza, Spain, 23-26/05/2007, Authors: P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
On the FSI in combustion chambers, conference proceedings, ECCOMMAS 2007 on Coupled Problems, Ibiza, Spain, 23-26/05/2007, P. Ryzhakov, M. Porta, R. Rossi, T. Shoenfeld
On the application of adaptive mesh refinement to the Particle Finite Element Method, conference proceedings (full paper) First south-east european conference in Computational Mechanics, SEECCM06, Authors: P. Ryzhakov and R. Rossi
Projects with industry:
COMETAD: Desarrollo de técnicas computacionales y experimentales para el análisis y el diseño de polímeros retardantes al fuego: 2015-2018
ULITES: Ultra-lightweight structures with integrated photovoltaic solar cells: design, analysis, testing and application to an emergency shelter prototype, 2013-2015 present
Numerical analysis of a FUEL SLOSHING TANK (CN-11-024) in cooperation with European Space Agency (ESA), 2011-2012
Balanced European Conservation Approach – ICT services for resource saving in social housing, 2011-2013
“Sea-landing studies of the intermediate eXperimental Vehicle IXV using the Particle Finite Element Method” in cooperation with CIMSA Ingeneria de Sistemas S.A. , 2007-2008
FLUISTCOM: Fluid-structure interaction for combustion chambers, in cooperation with Siemens AG and DLR, 2006-2008
T-SIMULAS: Desarrollo de nuevas TEcnologías de SIMULación de procesos de fabricación para inyección de Aluminio SemiSólido
NICOMP: Computational research to support the development of swimming and hovering underwater unmanned vehicles (UUV) by NRL
PhD thesis: "Lagrangian FE methods for coupled problems in fluid mechanics"
MSc thesis: "Error estimation and adaptivity in fluid mechanics"
BSc thesis: "Design and validation of an experimental set-up for investigation of cavitation erosion"
2015 - Europa Investigación grant by the Spanish Ministry of Education
2014 - Spanish Ministry of Education grant (former "Juan de la Cierva grant") for post-doctoral researchers
2006 - Marie Curie Scholarship for pursuing doctoral studies
2004 - Selected for Elite Student Network of Bavaria, Germany
2003 - Youth and Knowledge Scholarship award (for pursuing MSc studies)
1999 - Carl von Siemens Scholarship award (for pursuing BSc studies)
1999 - Award at the conference of Young Scientists for the work "Unusual defects on the surface of single crystalline SiC", Moscow
Internship at CERFACS, Toulouse, 2006
Industrial internships (Siemens AG, Germany, Russia) (6 months)
Summer school "Computational Science", Sud Tirol, 2005 (2 weeks)
Business Training, Erlangen, Germany, 2003
Memberships and Organizational activities:
Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal for Mechanical Engineering Research
Member of the Spanish Society for Numerical Methods in Engineering (SEMNI)
Member of Bavarian Graduate School of Computational Engineering (BGCE) Elitenetzwerk Bayern, Germany
Peer reviewer of the Computer Methods in Applied Mechanical Engineering Journal (CMAME)
Chairman of the International Student Association SAID of the the Mechanical Engineering Faculty, University of Karlsruhe, International Department (2002-2003)
CFD, multi-physics, fluid-structure interaction, compressible flows
Literature of modernist writers (Marcel Proust, James Joyce), literary translation, classical music, electric guitar