Pavel Borisovich Ryzhakov
Born in 1982 in Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Associate Researcher Professor at the International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE), Barcelona, Spain
Lecturer at Universidad Internacional de Catalunya (UIC)
Former lecturer at the Politechnic University of Catalonia (UPC) and TecnoCampus Mataro
Accredited by ANECA (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y Acreditación) as Profesor Contratado Doctor (08/05/2016)
Accredited by AQU (Agència per a la Qualitat del Sistema Universitari de Catalunya): "Acreditació de recerca (professorat agregat)" (07/10/2016)
Structural analysis III (UPC) - MSc course
Mathematics I (UIC) - undergrad level course
Modelling and simulation (TecnoCampus Mataro) - undergrad level course
Engineering materials (TecnoCampus Mataro) - undergrad level course
Supervised 1 PhD thesis and 4 MSc theses
2006-2010 - PhD, Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
2004-2006 - Master of Science with Honors in Computational Mechanics, TU Munich, Germany.
1999-2003 - Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
1999 - graduated from the School of Physics and Technology in Saint-Petersburg at Russian Academy of Science
18. P. Ryzhakov, J. Marti, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate. Fast fluid-structure interaction simulations using a displacement-based finite element model equipped with an explicit streamline integration prediction, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 315, pp. 1080–1097, DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2016.12.003.
17. P. Ryzhakov, J. García, E. Oñate. Lagrangian finite element model for the 3D simulation of glass forming processes, Computers and Structures 177 (2016) 126–140.
16. P. Ryzhakov. An axisymmetric PFEM formulation for bottle forming simulation, Computational Particle Mechanics, Vol. 4/1, pp. 3-12 (2017), DOI: 10.1007/s40571-016-0114-7
15. P. Ryzhakov, A. Jarauta, M. Secanell, J.Pons-Prats. On the application of the PFEM to droplet dynamics modeling in fuel cells, Journal of Computational Particle Mechanics (CPM), DOI 10.1007/s40571-016-0112-9, (2017), Volume 4, Issue 3, pp 285–295
14. A. Jarauta, P. Ryzhakov, M. Secanell, P. Waghmare, J.Pons-Prats. Numerical study of droplet dynamics in a polymer electrolyte fuel cell gas channel using an embedded Eulerian-Lagrangian approach, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 323 (2016) pp. 201-212
13. P. Ryzhakov and A. Jarauta. An embedded approach for immiscible multi-fluid problems, Int. Jour. for Num. Methods in Fluids (IJNMF), 21/10/2015, DOI 10.1002/fld.4190, Volume 81, Issue 6, pp. 357–376 (impact factor: 1.447)
12. P. Ryzhakov. A modified fractional step method for fluid-structure interaction problems, accepted in Revista Intern. Met. Num. Ing. (RIMNI), 17/09/2015, DOI 10.106/j.rimni.2015.09.002
11. A. Jarauta, M. Secanell, J. Pons-Prats, P. Ryzhakov, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate. A semi-analytical model for droplet dynamics on the GDL surface of a PEM fuel cell cathode, Int. J. Hydrogen Eneergy, 40 (15), pp. 5375-5383, 2015
10. P. Ryzhakov, J. Cotela, R. Rossi, E. Oñate. A two-step monolithic method for efficient simulation of incompressible flows, Int. Jour, for Num. Methds. in Fluids, Vol. 74, Issue 12 (2014) pp. 919–934.
9. E. Oñate, J. Marti, P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn. Analysis of the melting, burning and flame spread of polymers with the Particle Finite Element Method. Computer Assisted Methods in Engineering and Science. 20 - 3, pp. 165 - 184. 2013.
8. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, A. Viña, E. Oñate. Modelling and simulation of the sea-landing of aerial vehicles using the Particle Finite Element Method. Int. Journal of Ocean Engineering, Vol. 66 (2013), pp. 92–100
7. J. Marti, P. Ryzhakov, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate. Combined Eulerian-PFEM approach for analysis of polymers in fire situations, Int. Jour. for Num. Methds. in Eng. (IJNME) Vol. 90-9, pp. 782-801, 2012
6. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, S. Idelsohn. Improving mass conservation in simulation of incompressible flows, Int. Jour. for Num.Methds. in Eng. (IJNME) Vol. 90-12, pp. 1435-1451
5. P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate. An algorithm for the simulation of thermally coupled low speed flow problems, Int. Jour. Num. Meth. in Fluids (IJNMF) Vol. 70-1, pp. 1-19, 2012.
4. P.B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn, E.Oñate. A monolithic Lagrangian approach for fluid-structure interaction problems, Journal of Computational Mechanics, Vol. 46-6, pp. 883-899, 2010
3. R. Rossi, P. B. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate. A monolithic FE formulation for the analysis of membranes in fluids, International Journal of Spatial Structures, Vol. 24-4, pp. 205-210, 2009
Books and book chapters:
2. Lagrangian finite element methods for coupled problems in fluid mechanics, authors: P. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate, R. Rossi, S. Idelsogn. Monograph. M121, CIMNE, 2010, ISBN 978-84-96736-97-9
1. Advances in the Particle Finite Element method (PFEM) for solving coupled problems in engineering, authors: E. Oñate, S.R. Idelsohn, M.A. Celigueta, R. Rossi, J. Marti, J.M. Carbonell, Pavel Ryzhakov and B. Suárez. A E. Oñate and R. Owen (eds.), Particle-Based Methods, Computational Methods in Applied Sciences, Vol. 25, pp 1-49, Springer, 2011.
Selected conference Papers:
c0. Lagrangian FE model for glass manufacturing simulation, P. Ryzhakov and M.-A. Celigueta, Jornada de Simulación de procesos de vidrio, IQS, 10/05/2017, Barcelona.
c1. A displacement-based fluid-structure interaction model equipped with explicit streamline integration of nodal positions for alleviating time step restrictions (accepted conf. paper), P. Ryzhakov, J. Marti, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate, Congreso en Métods Numericos en Ingeniería CMN-2017, 3-5 July, Valencia, Spain.
c2. Embedded Eulerian-Lagrangian two-phase modelling of inkjet printing (accepted conf. paper), A. Jarauta, P. Ryzhakov, M. Secanell, J. Pons Prats, Coupled Problems 2017 (June 12-14, 2017), Rhodes Island, Greece
Multiphase water transport in polymer electrolyte fuel cells (accepted conf. paper): From phase change induced flow to droplet dynamics M. Secanell, M. Sabharwal, J. Zhou, A. Jarauta, A. Putz, P. Ryzhakov and J. Pons-Prats, Coupled Problems 2017 (June 12-14, 2017), Rhodes Island, Greece
c3. Numerical study of roughness and contact angle effects on water transport in a gas channel, A. Jarauta, T. Chan, A. Weber, P. Ryzhakov, J. Pons, M. Secanell, 231 ECS (Electro Chemical Society) Meeting, New Orleans, USA, May 28-June 2, 2017.
c4. Two-phase transport in microchannels under different injection conditions, authors: P.B. Ryzhakov, A. Jarauta, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, EFMC11 (11th European Fluid Mechanics congress), Seville, 11-16 September, 2016
c5. Numerical model of droplet dynamics using an embedded PFEM-Eulerian formulation, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanel, Particle Methods 2015, Barcelona, Spain, 28-30 September 2015
c6. Modelling and simulation of counter blow and final blow processes in bottle manufacturing, authors: P. Ryzhakov, J. García-Espinosa, E. Oñate. Particle Methods 2015, Barcelona, Spain, 28-30 September 2015
c7. An embedded approach for immiscible multi-fluid problems, authors: P. Ryzhakov and A. Jarauta, WCM2015, San Servolo, Venice, Italy, 18-20 May 2015
c8. Numerical model of droplet dynamics using an embedded formulation, authors: A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, WCM2015, San Servolo, Venice, Italy, 18-20 May 2015
c9. Embedded approaches: towards the virtual wind tunnel, R. Rossi; A. Larese, P. Dadvand, M. Davari, P. Ryzhakov.CMN 2015, Lisboa, Portugal, 29/06-02/07, 2015.
c10. Numerical modelling of droplet dynamics in PEMFC cathode channels, authors: A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, 12th Symposium for Fuel Cell and Battery Modeling and Experimental Validation, Freiburg (Germany), 26-27 Mach 2015
c11. Numerical modelling of droplet dynamics using an embedded formulation, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, VI International Conference on Coupled Problems in Science and Engineering, San Servolo, Venice (Italy), 18-20 May 2015.
c12. Numerical model of droplet dynamics using an embedded PFEM-Eulerian formulation, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell: IV Conference on Particle-Based Methods, Barcelona (Spain).
c13. Numerical model of droplet dynamics on the GDL surface of a PEM fuel cell cathode, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats and M. Secanell, 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics 2014, 20-24/07/2014, Barcelona
c14. A semi-analytical model for droplet dynamics on the GDL surface of a PEM fuel cell cathode, A. Jarauta, P.B. Ryzhakov, J. Pons-Prats, M. Secanell, S. Idelsohn, E. Oñate, EHEC 2014, 12-14/03/2014, Seville, Spain.
c15. How to speed-up an incompressible monolithic solver, authors: P. Ryzhakov, J. Cotela, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, CMN 2013, Bilbao, Spain, June 25-28, 2013
c16. Efficient tools and techniques for high-performance partitioned analysis of complex coupled systems, authors: Rossi, R.; Ryzhakov, P.; Cotela, J.; Dadvand, P.; Idelsohn, S.R.; Oñate, E., ECOMMAS 2012, September 10-14, Vienna, Austria
c17. Adaptive refinement and element division in GiD/KRATOS, authors: P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi. 6th conference on advances and applications of GiD, Barcelona, 10-11/05/2012.
c18. Fluid-structure Interaction Analisys of Thin Membranes with FEM, authors: Pavel Ryzhakov; Eugenio Oñate; Riccardo Rossi, Structural MEMBRANES 2011, 05-07/10/2011, Barcelona, Spain.
c19. Advances in the Particle Finite Element Method for FSI: a modified fractional step approach, authors: P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, full paper, PARTICLES-2011, Barcelona, Spain, Conference proceedings, 2011
c20. A modified fractional step approach: P. Ryzhakov, E. Oñate, R. Rossi, CMM 2011, 09-12/05/2011 Warsaw, Poland, Conference proceedings, pp. 437-438.
c21. Lagrangian FE methods for coupled problems in fluid mechanics, authors: P. Ryzhakov, GRACM 2011 (7th international congress in computational mechanics)/1st ECCOMAS PhD Olympiade, 25-26/05/2011, Athens, Greece.
c22.Thermo-mechanical problems: Eulerian-Lagrangian approach within Kratos-GiD, authors: Pavel Ryzhakov; Riccardo Rossi; Eugenio Oñate, 5th conference on advances and applications of GiD, 25-26/05/2010, Barcelona, Spain
c23. Advances in the Particle Finite Element Method (PFEM) for Fluid-Structure Interaction, authors: P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate extended abstract, PARTICLES-2009, Barcelona, Spain, Conference proceedings, pp. 250-254, 2009
c24. An algorithm for polymer melting simulation, P. B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, E. Oñate, conference proceedings METNUM-2009, Barcelona, Spain, 29/06/2009-02/08/2009
c25. Strongly coupled approach for the treatment of the fluid-structure interaction problems involving highly deformable solids and shells, R. Rossi, P. Ryzhakov, E.Oñate, IASSIACM 2008: “Spanning Nano to Mega” 2831 May 2008, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, pp-1 -4
c26. Quasi-incompressible updated lagrangian fluid and monolithic formulation for the the fluid-structure interaction problems involving highly deformable solids, Conference proceedings, WCCM8/ECCOMAS 2008, Venice Italy, 30/06/2008-04/07/2008, Pavel B. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S. Idelsohn and E. Oñate
c27. Monolithic approach for the solution of the FSI problems using updated lagrangian formulation of the fluid domain, conference proceedings, GACM'07, Munich, Germany, 10-12/10/2007, P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
c28. A Monolithic FE Formulation for the Analysis of Membranes in Fluids, conference proceedings, Structural Membranes 2007, Barcelona, Spain, 17-19/09/2007. Authors: P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
c29. Updated lagrangian formulation of the quasi-incompressible fluid element,conference proceedings, ECCOMMAS 2007 on Coupled Problems, Ibiza, Spain, 23-26/05/2007, Authors: P. Ryzhakov, R. Rossi, S.Idelsohn, E. Oñate
c30. On the FSI in combustion chambers, conference proceedings, ECCOMMAS 2007 on Coupled Problems, Ibiza, Spain, 23-26/05/2007, P. Ryzhakov, M. Porta, R. Rossi, T. Shoenfeld
c31. On the application of adaptive mesh refinement to the Particle Finite Element Method, conference proceedings (full paper) First south-east european conference in Computational Mechanics, SEECCM06, Authors: P. Ryzhakov and R. Rossi
Projects with industry:
COMETAD: Desarrollo de técnicas computacionales y experimentales para el análisis y el diseño de polímeros retardantes al fuego: 2015-2018
ULITES: Ultra-lightweight structures with integrated photovoltaic solar cells: design, analysis, testing and application to an emergency shelter prototype, 2013-2015 present
Numerical analysis of a FUEL SLOSHING TANK (CN-11-024) in cooperation with European Space Agency (ESA), 2011-2012
Balanced European Conservation Approach – ICT services for resource saving in social housing, 2011-2013
“Sea-landing studies of the intermediate eXperimental Vehicle IXV using the Particle Finite Element Method” in cooperation with CIMSA Ingeneria de Sistemas S.A. , 2007-2008
FLUISTCOM: Fluid-structure interaction for combustion chambers, in cooperation with Siemens AG and DLR, 2006-2008
T-SIMULAS: Desarrollo de nuevas TEcnologías de SIMULación de procesos de fabricación para inyección de Aluminio SemiSólido
NICOMP: Computational research to support the development of swimming and hovering underwater unmanned vehicles (UUV) by NRL
PhD thesis: "Lagrangian FE methods for coupled problems in fluid mechanics"
MSc thesis: "Error estimation and adaptivity in fluid mechanics"
BSc thesis: "Design and validation of an experimental set-up for investigation of cavitation erosion"
2017 - Juan Carlos Simó prize awarded by Spanish Society for Numerical Methods in Engineering (SEMNI)
2017 - José Castillejo mobility grant for an academic stay at University of Alberta (Canada), awarded by Spanish Ministry of Education and Sport
2015 - Europa Investigación grant by the Spanish Ministry of Education
2013 - Juan de la Cierva (FPD) post-doctoral grant by Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness
2006 - Marie Curie Scholarship for pursuing doctoral studies
2004 - Selected for Elite Student Network of Bavaria, Germany
2003 - Youth and Knowledge Scholarship award (for pursuing MSc studies)
1999 - Carl von Siemens Scholarship award (for pursuing BSc studies)
1999 - Award at the conference of Young Scientists for the work "Unusual defects on the surface of single crystalline SiC", Moscow
Internship at CERFACS, Toulouse, 2006
Industrial internships (Siemens AG, Germany, Russia) (6 months)
Summer school "Computational Science", Sud Tirol, 2005 (2 weeks)
Business Training, Erlangen, Germany, 2003
Memberships and Organizational activities:
Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal for Mechanical Engineering Research
Member of the Spanish Society for Numerical Methods in Engineering (SEMNI)
Member of Bavarian Graduate School of Computational Engineering (BGCE) Elitenetzwerk Bayern, Germany
Peer reviewer of the Computer Methods in Applied Mechanical Engineering Journal (CMAME)
Chairman of the International Student Association SAID of the the Mechanical Engineering Faculty, University of Karlsruhe, International Department (2002-2003)
CFD, multi-physics, fluid-structure interaction, compressible flows
Literature of modernist writers (Marcel Proust, James Joyce), literary translation, classical music, electric guitar